Thursday, March 31, 2011

Monday, Monday: Can't Trust That Day

It has been a rough week. Monday started me off wrong. Monday, if you had told me what the day was to bring, I would have stayed oh so far away from you.

Monday is my late day at work. I do not have to be in until 10:30 so it is the one day during the week I get to stay in bed longer than Nick. When I do finally climb out of bed I take my time and play with the puppies, have a nice breakfast sitting on the counter looking out the window, and gradually make my way into work.

Ferocious Toby
 This Monday was different. I was upstairs picking out clothes when Toby started barking like a madman. I yelled for him to stop but he was at that point in which he can only be stopped by your presence. I ran down stairs and found him not at the back door as I would have thought but standing instead in front of our basement door.

The basement door was closed but does not have a lock. Behind the basement door are steps to the basement and a side door that leads outside. "Toby, WHAT are you barking at??" I implored. As soon as the words left my mouth, Toby growled and a knock came from the basement door. Three knock to be exact. Knock, knock, knock. And yes I mean these knocks were coming from inside the house!

I ran upstairs. Nick was in the shower and I was pounding on the door. I told him what happened having to clarify more than once that yes I meant the INSIDE basement door. When what I was saying finally registered, Nick turned off the water and jumped out of the shower. He instructed me to call 911 as he wrapped a towel around his waist and started heading downstairs. I did as I was told and followed him downstairs. Nick grabbed a knife and the two of us stood in the front hallway as I gave the 911 dispatcher our address and explained the situation.

The cops arrived rather quickly and although they initially started walking to the wrong house, I was able to wave them over to me. I showed them the side door and they attempted entering from outside before coming in and searching the basement.

They came back up to the living room where I sat on the ottoman and Nick stood behind me (now dressed as I made him put on pants before the cops came). I was visibly shaken but the cops told me that they did not see any footprints and the  house was clear. They suggested that what I heard was melting snow. It was not. They suggested that it was a strong breeze. It was not.

We thanked the policemen for their time and they left. Nick stayed with me until I had to leave for work.


Playing hostess in our duplex a few years ago. Years before the mysterious knocking.

The story should be over but it's not.

I was driving to work on the main road that runs through Minneapolis. I was driving in the far right lane when the truck in front of me stopped and put on his flashers. I stopped behind him and flipped on my left blinker. I looked to my left and was about to pull out when the back of my car was slammed into. Luckily the traffic was heavy and the car behind me could not have been going more than 25, luckily I was stopped and did not then hit the truck in front of me. But still, my body jerked forward as I heard the awful clunkity crunch noise of an accident. I hate that noise. It is still in my head and it puts me on edge.

I opened my door and stared blankly at the girl climbing out of her car. Are you kidding me?? Is what I wanted to scream. Instead we exchanged concern and information.

She was apologetic and rightfully accepted all blame. "I was not paying attention. I saw the green light and just went." She admitted. I appreciated her honesty. "I'm having a really bad day." She added.

"I am too." I shared. "It's okay. It could have been worse. We are okay." I said as she embraced me. I got back into my car and drove to work. I'm still surprised that I did not turn around and go home and skip work but at the same time, home wasn't sounding too inviting either.

My neck, back, and shoulders still hurt a lot. I am sitting at work with heat packs and ibuprofen and later today I am going to buy locks for our basement door. Now is a good time to announce that we are moving July 1st and with the old apartment might also go the old Corolla.

Nick, The Corolla, and a cow's butt somewhere is Wisconsin.


*Blog title care of the Mamas and the Papas

No comments:

Post a Comment