Friday, December 16, 2011

Having a niece: Kaia Lee


Yesterday over my lunch break I was in Target when I got a text from my sister that caused a noise to escape from deep in my throat that reached out and scared the lady behind me.

My niece said a few simple sentences that simultaneously made my day and broke my heart. Unprompted she looked up at her Mom and said, "I so excited for Auntie Kerin to come!"

And so Christine asked her, "When is she coming Kaia?

Kaia responded matter-of-factly, "On Sunday, for my birthday party!"

Are you kidding me?? I wish I was going. Unfortunately they are in New England and I am in the Midwest and for this weekend, that distance cannot be changed.



Gosh it's so hard to be away from that kid. She is still at an age in which every time I see her, she has changed. Her hair is longer, her speech is clearer, her interactions are more purposeful, and she has a firmer grip on my heartstrings.



Kaia brings so much light to my family. I imagine that many feel this way, but I do not know how we spent our time before her. She is smart, asking to go on the potty and spelling her name all before the age of two. She is left-handed and seems to have a creative mind and a strong imagination as she nicknamed our old Little People set Merry Playground.


 "I crush them with Lightening McQueen" -Kaia
When I was home for Thanksgiving she would wake me up in the morning to play with our old kitchen set. I spent every available minute with her, getting to know her adorable mannerisms, and hoping I could make a strong enough impression that when I see her again, some of it has stuck.


Cutest flower girl ever.

I make jokes about buying her love but really, I do want to give her things. I want her to be able to hold a giraffe, a book, a truck and know that Auntie Kerin bought it for her. They are place savers until I can get on the phone and then get on a plane. So on her almost two year birthday and even though she can't yet understand all of the words I have written to her:

Happy Birthday Kaia!! I love you so very much.
You are perfect and wonderful and I miss you the second you leave a room.



4 comments:

  1. Christine aka mom of KaiaDecember 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

    Kerin, that was absolutely amazing! I read it to Kaia and will make sure to read it to her again when she gets older! Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost made me cry... ALMOST! haha. I hope this was not all a ploy to be the "favorite" aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerin, what a heartfelt and incredible piece about my little munchkin. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It did make me cry! how beautiful.
    She is truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete